Sunday, September 30, 2012

Get the airlines to pay you to fly

Today I read that the airlines are reducing your legroom from 31 inches to 30 inches.  The other day I saw a guy who stood well over 6 feet tall on a flight.  I’m sure in high school he loved it.  Probably had a lot of girls on his arm.  Now, his 6 plus feet of hight means he cannot fit into an airline seat.  Those of us at 5’ 6” are still doing OK.

The airlines are doing this to either add another 6 seats in economy, or to add more premium seats.  The airlines are looking to make an additional $150 million dollars off of your discomfort each year.  Well then, if they are going to make me uncomfortable, let them pay for it.

I have a habit of trying to get my connecting flights through some of the busiest hubs in the US.  Some people think I am crazy.  As a matter of fact, I look for the most heavily booked flight that I can.  This is one that more than likely will be overbooked.  This is how you get the airlines to pay for your flight.

Before you do this, do not try it on the last flight of the night.  You still want to make it to your vacation destination. 

As the time for boarding approaches, stand close to the counter at the gate.  If the flight is overbooked, the airline will ask for volunteers to take a later flight and offer you a monetary reward for your troubles.  So, here is the deal.  If you can handle waiting one to three extra hours to take a latter flight, take the deal!  I’m getting $400 each time I give up a seat.  Also, if you are really patent and polite, they may even give you a $10 meal voucher so you can eat at the airport.  I saw a family of 4 each get $400 flight vouchers and $40 worth of meal vouchers.  If you can wait until the next day, you may even get a hotel for the night.

The important thing to remember is to be flexible in your travel.  If it looks like the airline is about to ask for volunteers, position yourself so you can quickly jump in on this opportunity.  When the call comes out an several people head for the counter in front of you, raise your hand and clear say, “I’ll do it!”  Most people tend to stay away from conflict and may stop to let you through.  Their loss.

Enjoy your flight and your extra $400.

No comments:

Post a Comment