Saturday, August 25, 2012

Do You Really Need It?

Here is a good question.  “Do you really need it?”
In our society, we are brainwashed into confusing needs and wants.  Let me clarify these two items.
Need:
  • Shelter
  • food
  • clothing
  • Reasonable transportation to work.
Want:
  • 5,000 sq foot home for the two of you in Beverly Hills.
  • Lobster 2 nights a week.
  • The latest fashions from Paris
  • $50,000 SUV that can transport 7 comfortably, and you only have 2 kids.
Do you see the difference?  I have a relative that cannot let go of luxury.  This individual wants everybody to see him as financially successful, despite drowning in 10 feet of debt.  So when it is time to buy the new car, they head for a Luxus dealer and buy new.  OK, so you can barely afford to pay your bills, but you buy a Lexus. I feel real bad for you.
Focus first on the real needs.  I would love a Lexus SUV. but I think I’ll settle for a more reasonably priced vehicle.  I would love to have a large home on the west coast, but I think we will settle for something inland and a bit smaller.  Your debt is a result of you deciding to give your hard earned money to somebody who absolutely does not care about you, as long as you come back and give them more money.
Need new clothes?  What is wrong with last years fashions?  Seriously?  How many people actually hang around social circles where they look at the labels on your clothes?  For those of you who do, are they really your friends?  Here is an idea, buy off the clearance rack.  I have a full bag of clothes for the fall that I have never worn.  I purchased them at 80% off at the end of winter.  I’ll start wearing them this November when it gets cold.  Try it, your friends will never know.
Once again, when you are about to purchase something ask yourself “Do I really need it?”

No comments:

Post a Comment