Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Rent cars for Less

As a business owner, I need to be on the constant alert for potential money saving opportunities.  This is especially true while traveling. My travels times are usually set so it is difficult to use a bidding site for my flights.  Recently, I decided to start using Priceline for my rental cars. 

Priceline only uses the 5 major car vendors for their bidding process. Alamo, Avis, Budget, Hertz, and Enterprise.  For the airports that I frequent, these vendors are generally on the airport property which makes them convenient.  You get unlimited miles and road side assistance.

To get your starting bid, go to Hotwire.com and see what the going price is.  If you have at least a week to bid (You have to wait 24 hours to rebid on the same type of car) start your bid at 30% below Hotwire.  If not, start at 20% below hotwire. 

Unless you have a very specific need, there is little different between Mid-Size/Compact and Compact/Economy.  Each is usually a dollar a day apart.  I start with the Compact.  If that bid is refused, I will look more carefully at my travel needs and bid either on the Economy or the Mid-Size.  If not, I wait until the next day and bid a dollar higher.

These bids do not include insurance.  Check with you insurance provider to make sure your are properly covered.  Most insurance programs will not cover the extra panic insurance that they try to sell you.  Check with your insurance company to see what they cover.  Don’t worry, the car rental places have extra fees they will charge you that insurance will not cover.  Hence, the panic insurance they sell you.  I rent so often that if I were to pay “Loss-of-use” insurance on every rental, I would be out of business.  For the casual traveler, this may be something to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment